Friday and Saturday, Oct. 15 and 16, 2021
Graduate students and postdocs work with Graduate Career Services in the Office of Graduate Education to plan Graduate and Postdoctoral Career Day to showcase the variety of career options and experiences available to PhD and master’s graduates in the life sciences and public health.
Participants will learn about a wide range of career options and have the opportunity to network with a variety of professionals including Penn State alumni.
Graduate students and postdocs will be representative of anatomy, biomedical sciences, biostatistics, neuroscience, epidemiology, public health, the MD/PhD Medical Scientist Training Program and other dual degrees, as well as related departments.
Jump to topic
For the first time, this event will be held virtually with nine pre-recorded 60-minute panel sessions moderated by Penn State graduate students and postdocs from various disciplines.
Graduate students and postdocs will be able to view these sessions on demand during the week leading up to Career Day.
The panel sessions will consist of three to five professionals who will speak and answer pre-submitted questions. Each panel will have a moderator who will introduce the speakers, guide the discussion and direct questions.
Several topics will be addressed, including:
- Aspects of degree training the panelists found most useful
- Necessary experiences to get started in related fields
- Insights for students/postdocs interested in pursuing relevant careers
- A description of a typical day in each panelist’s position/role
Career/topic areas include:
- Academic teaching
- Academic research
- Science communication
- Medical affairs
- Public health
Information and links to the pre-recorded sessions will be available via Canvas.
Graduate students and postdocs will also have the opportunity to network with panelists live via Zoom breakout rooms on Oct. 15 and 16.
Information and links to the live networking sessions will be available via Canvas.
Additional details are available in the schedule on this page.
This serves as the virtual kickoff event for Career Day, featuring a keynote speaker followed by breakout rooms where students, postdocs and panelists will be able to meet each other and network.
- 5 to 6 p.m. | Keynote speaker
- 6:15 to 7:45 p.m. | Career networking happy hour
- 8:45 to 9 a.m. | Opening remarks
- 9 to 9:45 a.m. | Panel 1 networking
- 9:45 to 10:30 a.m. | Panel 2 networking
- 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. | Panel 3 networking
- 11:15 a.m. to noon | Panel 4 networking
- Noon to 1 p.m. | Lunch break with optional live sessions
- 1 to 1:45 p.m. | Panel 5 networking
- 1:45 to 2:30 p.m. | Panel 6 networking
- 2:30 to 3:15 p.m. | Panel 7 networking
- 3:15 to 4 p.m. | Panel 8 networking
- 4 to 4:45 p.m. | Panel 9 networking
- 4:45 to 5 p.m. | Wrap-up
Registration will open in early fall 2021.
Graduate students and postdocs will receive email notification when registration opens.