Save the Date: Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019
Career Day is planned by members of the Graduate Student Association of Penn State College of Medicine and overseen by the Office of Graduate Education and Career Services. This daylong, student-organized event showcases a variety of career options and experiences available to graduates with advanced degrees in the biomedical sciences and public health.
The Career Day planning committee invites a wide range of speakers for a number of moderated panels covering various careers including, but not limited to, research, business and industry, education and outreach, public health, science communication, and science policy and law.
This event is open to all graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
Jump to topic
2017 Career Day Overview
The ninth biennial graduate and post-doctoral Career Day was held Oct. 21, 2017, at Penn State College of Medicine.
The day was divided into four comprehensive career themes: business, research, education, and alternative.
Each career theme included three to four hourlong panels with a wide variety of careers represented.
In addition to the panel options, students and postdoctoral scholars were able to connect with panelists by participating in two interest-based 45-minute lunch sessions.
A total of 108 students and postdoctoral scholars attended.
Forty-eight invited panelists were representative of 44 organizations, with College of Medicine alumni comprising nearly half of the panelists. The day concluded with a networking reception at the University Conference Center.
- Large Pharmaceutical Companies
- Small Pharmaceutical Companies
- Academic PI
- Science Administration
- Teaching at Large Universities
- Anatomy/Higher Ed
- Liberal Arts
- Outreach/Secondary Education
- Public Health
- Science Communication
- International Panel
- Science Policy/Law
- Fatima Ali-Rahmani, PhD: Research Fellow, NIH – National Cancer Institute (College of Medicine alum)
- Mary Lou Bareither, PhD: Human Anatomy Clinical Professor (retired), University of Illinois at Chicago
- Patricia Bartlett, MA, MA: Acting Assistant Secretary for Education and Access, Smithsonian Institution
- Emily Besecker, PhD: Assistant Professor, Department of Health Sciences, Gettysburg College (College of Medicine alum)
- Sheila Cherry, PhD, ELS: President and Senior Editor, Fresh Eyes Editing
- Jerry Chipuk, PhD: Associate Director of Basic Science Shared Resources, Tisch Cancer Institute at Mount Sinai
- Timothy Culp, PhD: Principal Scientist, Vaccines Bioprocess R&D, Merck Research Laboratories (College of Medicine alum)
- Hien T. Dang, PhD: CRTA Postdoctoral Fellow, NIH – National Cancer Institute (College of Medicine alum)
- Ushma Doshi, PhD, MBA: Sr. Associate, Business Analysis & Insights – Competitive Intelligence, Amgen (College of Medicine alum)
- Sarah Dunsmore, PhD: Program Director, Division of Pharmacology, Physiology, and Biological Chemistry, NIH – National Institute of General Medical Science (College of Medicine alum)
- Mandi Feinberg, MS: Research Associate, Virology, Battelle National Biodefense Institute (College of Medicine alum)
- Christopher Ferrigno, PhD, MPT: Instructor, Dept. of Cell and Molecular Medicine and Post-doctoral Fellow, Dept. of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush University Medical Center
- Tiffany Frey, PhD: Assistant Professor of Biology, Dickinson College (Penn State alum)
- Mathew Garcia, PhD: Executive Director, CEMG Consulting and Research
- Tamara Grow, PhD, CMPP: Director of Scientific Services, PAREXEL International
- Thomas Hagan Jr., PhD: Associate Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Elizabethtown College
- Roosevelt Johnson, PhD: Deputy Associate Administrator of Education, NASA
- Christine Jurasinski, PhD: Distinguished Staff Scientist, Cognitive Learning Systems, Inc., LabLearner Program (College of Medicine alum)
- Daniel Jurman, MAR: Chief Executive Officer, Community Action Partnership of Lancaster County
- Andrew Kelleher, PhD, MS: Presidential Management Fellow (PMF – STEM), U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (College of Medicine alum)
- Evelyn Kilareski, PhD: Principal Scientist/Group Leader, Eurofins Lancaster Laboratories (College of Medicine alum)
- Barry Komisaruk, PhD: Director, Adjunct Professor, Distinguished Professor of Psychology, NIH – Minority Biomedical Research Support Program, Rutgers University
- Tanya Kranenburg, PhD, PMP: Manager, R&D Planning, Strategy and Operations, R&D Systems, Tools & Operations, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Scott Lindner, PhD: Assistant Professor and Co-Director, Center for Malaria Research, Penn State University
- Nicole Lindsey, MPH, MCHES: Manager of Health Education and Wellness, Geneia (a subsidiary of Capital BlueCross)
- Maria Maccecchini, PhD: Founder, President and CEO, QR Pharma, Inc.
- Nkuchia M’ikanatha, DrPH, MPH: Lead Epidemiologist for Antimicrobial Resistance Response, PA Department of Health
- Tamre-Diane Mockus, MS: Educational Consultant, Science Consulting Services
- Patrick Murphy, PhD: Technical Application Scientist I, BioLegend
- Alana O’Reilly, PhD: Associate Professor, Molecular Therapeutics Program and Scientific Director, Immersion Science Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Joseph Polli, PhD: Senior Director and Senior GSK Fellow, Mechanistic Safety and Drug Disposition, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK)
- Elizabeth “Libbie” Prescott, DPhil: Professor of the Practice and Director of Curriculum for Science, Technology, and International Affairs (STIA) program, Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University
- Andrea Blevins Primeau, PhD, MBA: Freelance Medical Writer and Editor, ASB Primeau Medical Writing, LLC (College of Medicine alum)
- Kristy Pugh, MS: Lead Research Specialist, University of Maryland School of Medicine (College of Medicine alum)
- Yvette Seger, PhD: Director of Science Policy, Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
- Shakila Shah, MPH: Refugee Health Promotion Coordinator, PA Department of Human Services (College of Medicine alum)
- Terry Smith, PhD, MBA: Senior Research Analyst, Emerald Asset Management
- Cynthia A. Surmacz, PhD: Professor, Department of Biological and Allied Health Sciences, Bloomsburg University (College of Medicine alum)
- Edwin Tan, PhD: Senior Research & Development Electrical Engineer, Novasentis Inc.
- Emmanuel Kwame Teye, PhD: Scientist, Large Molecule Method Development at Janssen R&D, Eurofins (College of Medicine alum)
- Michael J. Tocci, PhD: Associate Dean, NJ Center for Science, Technology & Mathematics, Kean University (College of Medicine alum)
- Louise Treanor, PhD: Research Investigator II, Exploratory Immuno-Oncology, Novartis
- Nishit Trivedi, PhD, MBA, MBBS: VP Corporate Strategy, Senior Research Analyst – Life Sciences, Emerald Asset Management (College of Medicine alum)
- Amanda Troy, PhD, MS: Assistant Professor of Anatomical Sciences and Director, Anatomy Teaching Fellow Program, Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine (College of Medicine alum)
- Michele Washko, MBA, MA: Principal, Life Science Innovations (Penn State alum)
- Jennifer Xavier, PhD: Associate Director of Research and Research Assistant Professor, University of Pittsburgh
- Catharine Young, PhD: Senior Director of Policy, Biden Cancer Initiative
- Jian Yu, PhD: Professor of Pathology and Radiation Oncology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine