Honor Code

The medical, physician assistant and graduate students of Penn State College of Medicine recognize the high academic and moral standards expected of us. We wholeheartedly commit to these standards realizing that the right attitudes and actions during these academic years will allow us to lay a firm foundation for thriving professional careers. This honor code outlines the fundamental expectations for each student in three key areas: academic excellence, professionalism and community involvement.

Academic Excellence

• I will create an environment conducive to the education of myself and others, bearing in mind the collaborative and interdisciplinary nature of medicine and research.
  • I will take personal responsibility for my education, mastering the knowledge and skills that will allow me to best serve others and achieve excellence in my profession.
  • I will ensure that my work on all assessments and papers is my own, completed truthfully and without willful deceit in oral, written or other conveyed means.
  • I will recognize the limits of my knowledge and respectfully pursue life-long learning.

Professionalism

• I will demonstrate empathy and compassion for peers, colleagues and patients in all interactions.
  • I will be respectful of school property and research materials, including biological samples and cadavers. I will insist that others do the same.
  • I will be ethical when designing, conducting, and evaluating my research.
  • I will perform research meticulously and report all findings truthfully, objectively, and to the best of my ability.
  • I will practice strict confidentiality and exercise personal accountability for my actions.

Community Involvement

• I will conduct myself in a manner that upholds the integrity of my school and my profession.
  • I will respectfully express my beliefs and opinions, so as not to infringe on the rights of others, for I understand that the focus of our careers is to improve the lives of others.
  • I will maintain a respectful and professional attitude in both my school and the greater community in which I live.
  • I will uphold the fundamental standards of my profession and will encourage others within my profession to do the same.

By upholding these expectations, we will set a high standard for ourselves ensuring that principles guide our everyday behavior throughout our entire professional careers.

Established Spring 2009 and revised Summer 2017 by student representatives