Penn State has a medical health insurance plan for all students (including graduate students) available for purchase through United Healthcare. You may view the policy information online at www.firststudent.com. The Penn State student health insurance plan is Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant.
- Graduate Students without an Assistantship or Fellowship
- All graduate students who will be enrolled for at least one credit unit during Fall 2017 are eligible for the Penn State Student Health Insurance Plan (medical coverage only). The insurance plan information and enrollment are available at www.firststudent.com. Enrollment and premium payment must be completed online by September 5, 2017.
- Graduate Assistants and Graduate Fellows
- Penn State subsidizes the graduate assistant and graduate fellow premiums for medical, dental and vision insurance plans. Each fall semester graduate assistants and graduate fellows are automatically enrolled with “Single Student” coverage in the medical, dental and vision insurance plans for the academic school year. Premium deductions are taken September-December for Fall and January-May for Spring/Summer. Find out more at the Penn State Health Services site.
- If you only want single student coverage in the three plans, no further action is required.
- If you want to enroll your spouse and/or dependents in the medical, dental and/or vision insurance plans, you must complete the form available through our secure server
- If you do not want to participate in the medical, dental and/or vision insurance plans offered, then you must complete the form available through our secure server
- International students that want to decline the medical insurance must also complete a waiver application online with United HealthCare at www.firststudent.com. If the waiver application is not approved, you must enroll in the Penn State Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Waivers and online declination/dependent enrollments must be completed every Fall semester.
- The Fall 2017 enrollment deadline is September 5, 2017.
- Enroll dependents or Decline coverage through our secure server.
- Insurance Plan Design and Benefit Summary is available on the United HealthCare website
- If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact Student Health Insurance at email@example.com or (814) 865-7467.