The Penn State College of Medicine program in international health within the Master of Public Health degree reflects Penn State’s broader commitment to improve the well-being and health of individuals and communities and to promote a global understanding through integrated programs in education, research, and service.
Through our curriculum in international health, we seek to recognize global health disparities and discover promising health care solutions through applied coursework and meaningful international field experiences. The program is designed to provide a framework in which students explore public health issues from a global and culturally competent perspective.
International fieldwork is a critical step for students to gain practical experience in global health. Penn State MPH Program partners with the Global Health Scholars Program at Penn State College of Medicine to create an interdisciplinary program involving MPH and MD students.
Support Global Health
Graduate Certificate in Global Health
- For students who are interested in advancing their knowledge and skills in key global health competencies.
- Can be done while pursuing an MPH or DrPH degree.
- Only 12 credits. 2 required (including Principles of Public Health) and 2 elective courses.
Global Health Graduate Internship Program (GHGIP)
- Each summer, MPH and DrPH students have the opportunity to travel abroad to India, Ghana, Taiwan, and other international sites to address identified public health issues.
- These experiences can fulfill the program’s practicum requirement.
- Students who are unable to travel globally also have the opportunity to participate in a domestic global health internship.
Global Health Exchange Partnership (GHEP)
- We invite graduate students from our international partner sites to Penn State Hershey for two weeks in the summer.
- The students will learn from Penn State faculty, shadow and observe professionals, visit regional and national public health organizations, and participate in a cultural exchange of public health topics with students from across the globe.
- Current graduate/certificate students are able to enroll in this program as an elective.
Please contact Dr. Kristin Sznajder, Associate Director for International Initiatives, or email email@example.com for further information on the global health program for MPH and DrPH students.