The Department of Public Health Sciences offers students the option to pursue the global health track as part of a graduate degree or earn a graduate certificate in global health.
Both options reflect Penn State’s broader commitment to improve the well-being and health of individuals and communities and to promote a global understanding through integrated programs in education, research and service.
The program is designed to provide a framework in which students explore public health issues from a global and culturally-competent perspective.
Through this curriculum, students understand global health disparities and discover promising health care solutions through applied coursework and international field experiences.
International fieldwork is a critical step for students to gain practical experience in global health. Through the Global Health Exchange Program, each summer, students in the Master of Public Health and Doctor of Public Health programs have the opportunity to travel abroad to study public health issues.
Support Global Health
Graduate Certificate in Global Health
- This certificate is for students who are interested in advancing their knowledge and skills in key global health competencies.
- For the 12-credit certificate, students must successfully complete two required courses (Principles of Public Health and Principles of Global Health) and two elective courses.
- The certificate can be completed while pursuing an MPH or DrPH degree.
Global Health Exchange Program (GHEP)
- Penn State MPH and DrPH students have the opportunity to travel abroad to China, India, Ghana, Taiwan, Morocco, Bahrain, Uganda, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Singapore and other international partner sites to study public health issues.
- These experiences can fulfill the program’s practicum requirement.
- Penn State students who are unable to travel globally have the opportunity to participate in a domestic global-health-focused learning opportunity.
- As part of the program, each summer, Penn State invites graduate students from international partner sites to Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey for a three-week learning experience.
- The students will learn from Penn State faculty, shadow and observe professionals, visit regional and national public health organizations, and participate in a cultural exchange of public health topics with students from across the globe.
- Current graduate/certificate students are able to enroll in this program as an elective.
Please contact Dr. Kristin Sznajder, Associate Director for International Initiatives, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on the global health program for MPH and DrPH students.