Even though trips often occur to underdeveloped countries where the cost of living is lower, a month-long trip may easily accrue to $2,500 to $3,000 per person, if not more.
Please see this scholarships guide for a list of funding opportunities.
Below is a list of scholarship opportunities available to medical students.
- Academy for Educational Development (AED)
- American Medical Women’s Association’s American Women’s Hospitals Service
- Benjamin H. Kean Traveling Fellowship in Tropical Medicine
- Carole M. Davis Scholarship
- Christian Medical and Dental Society (CMDS)
- Foreign Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention
- Fundsnet Services Online (This site may have some scholarship opportunities)
- Global Health Ministries (Lutherans)
- Herbert W. Nickens Medical Student Scholarships
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellowships
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- James S. Westra Memorial Endowment Fund
- Large list of international scholarly work funding opportunities
- Malaria Research and Training Center in Mali
- MAP (Fourth-year medical students, residents and interns are eligible. Applications should be submitted during the academic year prior to travel)
- Medical Students For Choice Reproductive Health Externships
- NSEP/Boren Scholarship/Fellowship for Study Abroad
- Partners of the Americas
- Project MedSend
- Sara’s Wish Scholarship Fund (for young women pursuing the ideals of bettering the world)
- The Rotary Foundation
- Yale Johnson and Johnson Physician Scholars in International Health
Contact Us: If you are aware of any scholarship opportunities feel free to send us that information so that we can update this list. Please email Brian Bennett, Manager, Global Health Center, at firstname.lastname@example.org.